Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Babies grow up too fast

While friends my age are dealing with grandchildren and friends younger than me are still raising their kids of various ages (or in some cases are getting ready to have them!), I brought my "babies" to the vet today for their "geriatric checkup!" Of course mine are of the large canine varierty and both, Newfoundlands, will be turning 9 next month (yet MORE GEMINIS in my life!). Having lost my first Newf (Bozeman) last fall at nearly 12, I know how fast the years go by when you are childless and rely on other species to feed your nurturing needs.

Losing a pet and grief

I think I grieved as much (and can still bring myself to sobbing uncontrollably) for Boze as I did for my mother 17 years ago. I read, somewhere, though, that it's a good thing that dogs don't live longer than humans, because they would suffer at our deaths more than we suffer at theirs. Interesting, though, that means nothing when I am grieving.

BBD (Big Black Dogs)

http://www.blackpearldogs.com/ is a website devoted to the plight of black-coated dogs who overrun shelters and rescue organizations. "The Bark", my favorite magazine (who can resist their play-on-words tagline, "Dog is my co-pilot"?) wrote a piece on black dogs in their March/April 2006 issue, which included the fact that people don't know just how doomed a black dog is when you take him to a shelter. Apparently, no one wants to adopt a big, black dog, because they prefer "flashier breeds," according to the article.

When I was in school for veterinary technology I remember hearing that if two dogs mated and one was black, most of the puppies would be black because black is a dominant color, like brown eyes are in humans. I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense. The plight of black dogs is especially close to my heart since every dog I have had since I was a child was predominantly black. Hm.


A po-em (as edith ann would say) I wrote about my biggest black dog, Bozeman before he got sick:

Grey Snout
When I am old, I will lick plates
Left on the coffee table for only a second.
I will beg at every meal
My mouth watering at every bit my master takes
And my eyes staring into hers
Until she obeys my every command.
I will grab any treat I can get
And be less gentle about taking from human hands.


When I am old, I'll sleep where I want
In a sunbeam or on my master's bed at her feet
I will sleep on my back with all four paws in the air
And snore loudly.
I will nose my master at three in the morning to go out
And take my time sniffing every corner of the yard
While she taps her foot and yawns.


When I am old, I'll make everyone believe
I forgot the commands I once knew so well.
My ears don't hear so well
And my eyes can't see the gestures
I'm an old dog and can't help it.
Or so they'll think.

I will pretend that the word "Come" has no meaning
I'll cock my head and look a little confused
To melt my master's heart.
And then I'll do what I want.



No comments: