Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Wild nights are calling

Loony bin
For the past week, about 7:30 in the evenings,I hear the loons calling each other. Last week there appeared to be some altercation between these birds with some terrible noises coming from the lake. When I asked the rehab director about it, he said that the males may be fighting for territory and that would mean that a male coming in to take over would kill the other males chicks and it would not be unusual for the two males to fight to the death. I haven't heard the screaming since that night,but the winning loon reminds me every night who's boss.

A day in the life
Didn't get to do much at the NWC this weekend. Fed some baby birds, which is always rewarding and scary (I'm not very good at making sure they get all the mealworms they need.) And I set up an aquatic cage for a blue heron juvenile who just looked plain scared. We set out a lot of buckets with branches in them so he will have plenty of places to hide out.

We also got another bald eagle in with a luxated shoulder, although this one was given some steroids and put in a cage in case he might recover some ability to fly.
Weekend at Barbie's
I had a guest this weekend who gave me a huge surprise for my 50th. Little reminders of what has gone on since we have known each other (nearly a quarter of a century!) like a composition book from the university of Minnesota, a toy teller tray to remind us both of where we met and where we never want to return to and a nice card with a generous contribution to the Humane Society of America (not George's"Human Fund"!) It was a wonderful gesture and made me feel good.

Let them eat baguette
I fought the t(err)ourist battle at the grocery store this weekend because I wanted to make this fantastic Italian bread salad that called for an entire good baguette. I grabbed the baguette out of the bin and it was so fresh that it was still warm from the oven. After a half hour in line, I went home. I got everything and put it away and stupidly left the dogs out while I went to change. I came out not two minutes later and the only thing left of the baguette was the little cellophane window on the package. I told the dogs that it was a good thing I don't believe in beating animals. They looked at my from the corners of their eyes all night. NO DINNER FOR YOU!

The rest of the weekend went rather smoothly.

I am kind of tired today because I am under the weather and from now until the beginning of September we can be called into my fave place, the "w(ho)arehouse" at any time.

No comments: