Friday, July 28, 2006

It's a dry world after all

Friday I took a vacation day from work. Sick to stomach anyway and depressed. Good to be off of work, but sleeping the afternoon away did not help depression matters.

The weirdest thing happened. I have been glued to the television, as always, and these commercials about "Who does depression really hurt?" come on all the time. ("As if depressed people need something else to worry about", I keep thinking to myself resentfully. )

One of the scenes of the commercial has a Weimaraner at the door with a ball in his mouth, waiting - to imply that the owner is depressed and not playing with his/her canine buddy. Tug at heartstrings for me (forget about the neglected kid or spouse!).

Anyway, the power of the tube must be working a little, because yesterday, in the midst of a horrendous depressive episode(mmmmmmmmmmmmmm-Menopause is soooooooooooooo much fun!), I promised Baci that I would take him swimming today and I would throw the ball for him. Well, all day today he kept glancing at me, and that Weimaraner kept coming into my head, so I put on my green grape suit and a T-shirt and we headed out to the dock. I haven't been out there since May (so GLAD I pay taxes to live on a lake!) and I hadn't noticed how low the water was. When I moved here in the summer of 2002, the water came past the beginning of the dock and in fact there was a giant walleye who had a nest under the left end of the dock. Now the sand down there is hardly even moist and the grass on either side of the dock is hip high. I have been hearing that we have a drought in the Northwoods, but it's hard to believe when we had as much snow as we did and all the rain we have been having lately. It just floored me.

ANYWAY.......

I took Baci out to swim and took my new Chuck-It with us with us and threw it over and over - we must have stayed out there throwing and swimming for about a half hour always heard the secret to keeping a dog interested (as if Baci weren't the most observant and interested dog in my house right now) is to stop training when he is still anticipating fun. I stopped after a half hour and he still wanted to go after another ball. And he's 9 years old! And hasn't exercised in months! Tomorrow I will take his brother out (Dulse, his bro, is currently sulking with his back to me right now,sighing heavily every one in a while. I don't think he has the power of mind control that Baci has, though!

Baci has not looked as content in a long time as he has all evening.

2 comments:

Arlo Muttrie said...

Ah the Northwoods. Home of sparrow-sized skeeters. Greetings from a fellow ADD'er, tho' I can't say mine is mild.

renee said...

Sounds like Baci & you both got what you needed Friday - I'm glad to see you're back writing, my friend :)
p.s. When ya gonna post photos of those boys?