Saturday, June 24, 2006

Wild Kingdom

Remember this? Marlin Perkins introduced the topic of the show - like alligators - and his assistant Jim Fowler. After the Mutual of Omaha commercial, Marlin comes back, and they are out in the Everglades at a campsite. He then says, "I'll just sit here in the tent with Larita, the foot masseuse,while Jim goes out to find the man-eating gator!" Then he says something (from the tent) like, "Watch out, Jim, for that flailing tail! One knock from that'll scar you for life!"

Head hanging
There was a whole misunderstanding about last week when I decided to take the weekend off because I was depressed that I turned 50 (like I could do anything about it!). The NWC didn't get my message and were apparently swamped, so I felt bad, but I went in anyway. And of course they love volunteers so much they welcomed me with open arms.

Fawn-Doe-Rosa
There is a game farm near the border of Wisconsin and Minnesota called Fawn-Doe-Rosa. It is a silly name, but it runs through my mind often when I am feeding the little fawns who are getting bigger and shyer (yey-they'll have a chance in the wild!) at the same time as they really really want their bottles of formula. We are getting more and more, although we have plenty more room. Of course the rehabilitator always wishes there would be fewer animals in need.

There otter be a law
The baby otter who was cuddling on my foot a couple of weeks ago is now in an aquatic cage of her own,alternately having a blast swimming and figuring out ways to get out of the enclosure into the "no-man's land" that buffers the cage from outdoors, when the interns or I come to slide more fish into her bowl. There are now thick leather gloves between the two doors in case she escapes, because apparently she would rather bite the hands that feed her than get caught I was over feeding the Merganser ducklings, I saw the assistant rehab director try to distract the otter by making "burr-burr" noises as the intern tried to slip in the fish unnoticed. She did get away with it, but barely.

Micey-micey, who cut up the miceys?
Although the barred owl chick that I tweeze-fed mouse parts to for the last two weeks is out with another barred owl and eating on his own, I still had to halve mice for the two wise ones, and this is my MOST unfavorite job. I'd like to report that I only gagged once, but didn't hurl.

He will never pass this way again
We had to put down another bald eagle today, because he came in with a dislocated shoulder. He was beautiful - even the rehab director said so. Someone who has lived here for a few decades told me a couple of weeks ago that the eagle population has just skyrocketed since she was a youngster, so I suppose with more life comes more death,too. It was still sad.

Gaping at me
I think baby birds have to be THE most helpless creatures (besides human babies). And we have a lot of them and are getting more everyday, from incubated spotted eggs (which we got to look at in a little dark room with a pen light to see how the embryos were progressing) to the robin who was released,but still hangs out at the aviary hoping that someone will take pity on him and hand feed him. Although he is fully capable of foraging on his own, his charm when he flies at your face or lands on your shoulder peering at you through still-baby-like pin feathers, tugs at your heart and you give in. Even the rough and tough experienced rehabbers do it!

Oh and one more thing. I always have been and continue to be amazed at the gentleness of the men who choose to care-take animals, whether wild or domesticated (the animals I mean, not the men). A very charming trait, indeed.


No comments: