Saturday, December 20, 2008

Training the TeeNewf

I was so proud of this photo of the newest member of my fur family, because the powerful stance is so unlike this sweet, goofy beast, but when my new dog trainer, Sharon, saw it, she did not "ooooh" and "aaaaaah" and say, "what a fantastic photo of Rudder!" No. She said, "I see you're allowing Rudder to jump up on things...." deflating my balloon just like that.

Anyway, I started training him in earnest today. I got up and drove the 20 miles to my private lesson, and am slowly learning to use a remote training collar (AKA electronic collar, "shock" collar, etc). I had always been against using them, until I saw a demonstration and I felt what the dog was feeling, at least initially. Remote collars have come a long way even in the past 5 years.

We just did our first session today. He wears the collar unless I am not with him and I always have the remote in my hand. He also wears a "long line" everywhere,for the first week, so I can guide him into doing what I want (or don't want) him to do. I am doing everything the trainer advises, because I have known her a long time, I see how happy her dogs are, and I see that she can take them anywhere with her and they are welcome.

I just hope that as the weeks go by, I become more confident in this method.

No comments: